How is your relationship with food? How is your goal to lose weight? How are your efforts to quit that particular craving you always have?
Whatever issue you may be struggling with when it comes to food, keeping a Food Journal will help you to take a real look at it and it may help you overcome those difficulties and create a healthy, beautiful, nourishing relationship with the one thing we all have in common: eating!
Basically a Food Journal is a diary where you write down all the things you had to eat on that day (type and quantity). But why should I do that if I have my own memory in the end of the day to look back and go through it? Believe it or not writing it down has a huge impact in the way you perceive the food that nourishes the temple of your soul, for the following reasons:
1. You’ll be more aware during each meal (probably eat slower and flavour food more),
2. You’ll realize how appetite affects the serving you choose,
3. You’ll see how the size of a dish influences you (because we also eat with our eyes),
4. You’ll realize how while snacking you lose total control on the quantities you’re actually ingesting,
5. You’ll also understand how emotions affect the choices you do when it comes to food (and why having an adequate meal plan may be another good ally to deal with cravings).
Writing down what you eat will allow you to take a real look at the food you have had to eat and the quantities you have ingested without a filter (the filter of your own memory) and that is the only way to truly evaluate how is your relationship with food.
Another great advantage of keeping a Food Journal is that it will help you track potential allergy causes and/or the cause for some food malady you may be facing.
The Food Journal will allow you to connect to your body through the consistent analyses of what you have been eating and when. It will help you identify cravings and/or moments when you are more susceptible to give in or more sensitive and in that way you will be able to take the necessary actions to prevent those behaviours. Start a Food Journal and the temple of your soul will thank you for it!
If you wish to support Skin at Heart, you can do so by donating one time or monthly through Patreon. Find out more details and the advantages of becoming Skin at Heart’s Patron here!